- 1The point in time or space at which something begins: he left at the beginning of February they had reached the beginning of the woodMore example sentences
dawn, birth, inception, conception, origination, genesis, emergence, rise, start, starting point, very beginning, launch, onset, outset, unfolding, development, developing, debut; day one• informal kick-off• formal commencementopening, start, first part, preface, introduction, foreword, preamble, opening statement, opening remarks, prelude, prologue• formal commencement
- Mike and Zach walked past the lake and reached the beginning of the woods.
- For working teachers, like myself, Labor Day also brings the beginning of the school year.
- For some, this month brings the beginning of festivities celebrating the end of the school year.
- 1.1The first part or earliest stage of something: the ending of one relationship and the beginning of another she had the beginnings of a headacheMore example sentences
- These early beginnings set the stage for more recent innovations in the field.
- He has been involved since the beginning of the organising stages of the exhibition.
- The entire cast assembles on stage in the beginning before splitting into smaller groups for the subsequent variations.
- 1.2 (beginnings) The background or origins of a person or organization: he had risen from humble beginnings to great wealthMore example sentences
- From its small beginnings, the organisation has become an important voice on a wide range of issues in education and child welfare.
- After years of steadily building its organization from tiny beginnings in San Francisco, the group has become a key player in critical legal challenges.
- The England captain, Henry Brett, is Britain's best player and one of the few to play to a high level, despite humble financial beginnings - his parents sold a sofa to buy him his first polo pony.
the beginning of the end
- The first sign of the failure or end of something.More example sentences
- In that sigh, there may even be a sign that ultimately they realize that this is the beginning of the end.
- We are at the beginning of the end of blindness with this type of technology.
- When the dome blew down, it was described as the beginning of the end.