The activity or pastime of ringing church bells or handbells.
- Bells and bell-ringing have often been imitated by composers for symbolic purposes.
- There will be an opportunity for anyone interested in church bell-ringing when two taster evenings will be held at the Church.
- Her life revolves around her dogs, the local am-dram society, the church, bell-ringing and village gossip.
- Example sentences
- The bell-ringers of St James’ had that same day taken part in another county-wide act of appreciation and appeal.
- There was a very real danger that the spire would collapse onto bell-ringers and those walking below.
- Another reason to feel distress about this matter is the effect it would have on the dedicated bands of bell-ringers who regularly practise this traditional art and help celebrate events such as weddings or christenings.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bell-ringing
Definition of bell-ringing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.