- 1At a lower level or layer than: just below the pocket was a stain the blistered skin below his collarMore example sentences
- There is barely any discernible sensation of the blade below skin level.
- A deep cut could penetrate to the fatty layer below the skin.
- As we were driving through Calcutta, my friend pointed to a little shrine to a god embedded in a wall just below waist level.
- 1.1Lower in grade or rank than: the aristocracy rank below the monarchy they rated the company’s financial soundness below its competitor’sMore example sentences
- Italy ranks below Botswana, while Namibia scores equal with Greece.
- I have a hard time accepting that we rank below Lithuania, Estonia, Croatia and Slovakia.
- Well, if an officer of your rank, with clout and a good deal of power and influence does not speak out, do you honestly expect that others below your rank would?
- 1.2Lower than (a specified amount or standard): pupils of below average ability below freezing below 50 mphMore example sentences
- Ensure that whatever you do never falls below the standard of your abilities and goals.
- The RUH Trust however denied liability and claimed her treatment did not fall below an acceptable clinical standard.
- There are countless examples of conduct by high profile sports stars that fall well below community standards.
- 2Extending underneath: the tunnel below the crags cables running below the floorboardsMore example sentences
- Obvious examples are the excavation of building foundation and tunnels that extend below the water-table.
- There is adequate storage below the berths although hanging locker space is limited and there is no wet locker.
- Catwalks extended across the open spaces below me which were filled with machinery of different kinds.
adverbBack to top
- 1At a lower level or layer: he jumped from the window into the moat belowMore example sentences
- It fell a few feet below us, then came zooming back up straight at me.
- So he jumped below and spread the chart of Mag Bay out on the table and yelled soundings and direction to me.
- And one, two three....the young giant leapt into the Sea below.
- 1.1(In printed text) mentioned further down on the same page, or further on in the text: our nutritionist is pictured below rightMore example sentences
- Examine the vignettes below and then read the discussion that follows.
- By filling out the form below and then submitting it, you can report any injury or death involving consumer products to us, or report an unsafe product to us.
- You have the option of clicking on the subjects below or simply reading the interview from the beginning.
- 1.2 Nautical Below deck: I’ll go below and fix us a drinkMore example sentences
- The wind at the time the captain went below was blowing a fresh breeze from east-north-east, with a heavy sea, which increased to a violent gale; he was, however, not called until 2 o'clock.
- We did not think it very serious so went below again cursing the iceberg for disturbing us.
- I went below to rest, because I would be on watch later.
below (the) ground
- Beneath the surface of the ground: 60 feet below groundMore example sentences
- The finished museum, with five storeys above ground and one storey below ground, will resemble a huge ship.
- Working off the ground, below the ground, or with powerful tools and equipment is dangerous work.
- Yes, in fact here in Perth they already drain it straight into what we call the aquifer which is where the ground water is situated below ground.
- British • dated In the basement of a house as occupied by servants.More example sentences
- Servants is a bold and irreverent drama series set below stairs in a country house in 1850s England.
- And this is less than half the cast, because half the action takes place below stairs, where the servants live.
- With an obedient nod, she turned for the door that led to the servants' quarters, below stairs.