- (In the UK) a senior member of any of the Inns of Court.More example sentences
- In one case, in 1691, the benchers of the Inner Temple ordered that the gate between the two areas be bricked up.
- He then became an eminent lawyer and bencher of the Inner Temple.
- Entrance to the Inns' degree course is by examination, though this is not open to anyone in an occupation ‘which, in the opinion of the benchers of King's Inns, is incompatible with the position of a student seeking to be called to the Bar’.
More definitions of bencherDefinition of bencher in:
- The US English dictionary