verb[with object] (often as adjective benumbed)
- Deprive of physical or emotional feeling: a hoarse shout cut through his benumbed sensesMore example sentences
- Unfortunately, the audience becomes so benumbed by the endless carnage that any emotional connection to the individual players is reduced to an insulting inconsequentiality.
- Something has benumbed our consciousness against this reality.
- Those macabre photographs that benumbed the civilised world were worth a million words each.
late 15th century: from obsolete benome, past participle of benim 'deprive', from be- (expressing removal) + Old English niman 'take'.
More definitions of benumbDefinition of benumb in:
- The US English dictionary