- A colourless volatile liquid hydrocarbon present in coal tar and petroleum, and used in chemical synthesis. Its use as a solvent has been reduced because of its carcinogenic properties.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C6H6
- The new targets relate to a number of chemicals including benzene, carbon monoxide and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Cholesterol is soluble in chloroform, ether, benzene, or hot alcohol and other organic solvents.
- City traffic is a significant source of pollutants such as sulphur dioxide, particulate matter, benzene, and carbon monoxide.
More definitions of benzeneDefinition of benzene in:
- The US English dictionary