noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A white crystalline substance present in benzoin and other plant resins, used as a food preservative.
- Chemical formula: C6H5COOH
More example sentences
- Compounds that protect against sun damage include such things as titanium dioxide, para amino benzoic acid, and benzyl cinnamate.
- In a second method, toluene is mixed with nitric acid and oxidized to produce benzoic acid.
- The most commonly found preservatives in the food samples were benzoic acid and sorbic acid.
Definition of benzoic acid in:
- The US English dictionary