Definition of benzoin in English:
1 (also gum benzoin) A fragrant gum resin obtained from a tropical East Asian tree, used in medicines, perfumes, and incense. Also called gum benjamin.
- This is obtained from several species of the genus Styrax (family Styracaceae), in particular S. benzoin
- Maceration is the only feasible method of producing a tincture from an unorganized drug such as gum benzoin or propolis resin.
- When the mixture begins to cool, add twelve drops of lemon juice and six drops of tincture of benzoin, while still continuing to stir.
- With every step a new aroma seemed to leap out of the darkness - succulent summer flowers here, earthy woods there, benzoin, pumpkin spice even.
2 Chemistry A white crystalline aromatic ketone present in benzoin resin.
- Chemical formula: C6H5CHOHCOC6H5
- Although benzoin and benzoic acid had been called aromatics before 1820, it was not until the 1850s that benzene and its derivatives were placed in the chemical family of aromatics.
- Benzoin and its derivatives are used as intermediates for the synthesis of organic compounds and as catalysts in photopolymerization.
- Stereochemically and functionally rich polycyclic compounds are obtained by the first crossed aldehyde-ketone benzoin reaction in excellent yield under mild reaction conditions.
Definition of benzoin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan