noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A yellow crystalline compound related to benzene but having two hydrogen atoms replaced by oxygen.
- Chemical formula: C6H4O2; there are two isomers, with the oxygen atoms on opposite (1,4-benzoquinone) or adjacent (1,2-benzoquinone) carbon atoms
More example sentences
- The chemical compound quinone, or 1,4 - benzoquinone, is a unicyclic, or ring phenolic compound.
- In all experiments the algae were treated with benzoquinone, to inhibit metabolic activity in the chloroplast and to maintain an oxidized plastoquinone pool.
- The solution of benzoquinone is prepared immediately before the demonstration (the solution decomposes in hours).
Definition of benzoquinone in:
- The US English dictionary