noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A bitter yellow compound of the alkaloid class, obtained from barberry and other plants.More example sentences
- Berberine hemi-sulphate is an acid salt of the alkaloid berberine, which has been used supposedly to confirm the presence of suberin in plant roots.
- The staining pattern was similar to that obtained with berberine - aniline blue.
- Goldenseal is rich in an antibiotic compound called berberine.
More definitions of berberineDefinition of berberine in:
- The US English dictionary