- A disease causing inflammation of the nerves and heart failure, ascribed to a deficiency of vitamin B1.More example sentences
- This was determined to be one of the vitamins that prevented beriberi, a deficiency disease marked by inflammatory or degenerative changes of the nerves, digestive system and heart.
- The troops suffered from malaria, dengue fever, beriberi, hookworm and pellagra.
- Diseases such as beriberi and malaria have become more common as problems with sanitation have increased.
early 18th century: from Sinhalese, from beri 'weakness'.
More definitions of beriberiDefinition of beriberi in:
- The US English dictionary