verb (past bespoke /bɪˈspəʊk/; past participle bespoken /bɪˈspəʊk(ə)n/)[with object]
1Be evidence of; indicate: the attractive tree-lined road bespoke money
More example sentences
- This evidence, along with the centralized organization of labor, bespeaks a dramatic, rapid shift in sociopolitical organization.
- His accent, body language and style of dress, his no-nonsense, cut-to-the-chase conversation all bespoke a powerful national culture.
- That the papers do not form a cohesive whole bespeaks the great cultural variation of Africa and the ways that visual cultures arise from and affect many different aspects of everyday life.
2Order or reserve (something) in advance: the defendant’s insurers took steps to bespeak his medical records
More example sentences
- If the judgment of the trial on 22nd June was recorded, as it should have been, a transcript of it was never bespoken.
- This day, poor Tom Pepys, the turner, was with me, and Kate Joyce, to bespeak placesone for himself, the other for her husband.
- You will therefore wish me a good supper at Bill Hill, and I will remember to bespeak some roasted potatoes.
3 archaic Speak to.
- And when he had found her, he bespoke her in this wise: "Lady, my garden boy hath assuredly gone entirely mad".
- He bespoke her several times, but she was silent and answered him not a word; so he went out from her and going in to the Queen, told her what had passed between himself and the Lady.
- He bespoke them now and then, I signaled that I understood, and we let it go at that.
Words that rhyme with bespeakantique, batik, beak, bezique, bleak, boutique, cacique, caïque, cheek, chic, clique, creak, creek, critique, Dominique, eke, freak, geek, Greek, hide-and-seek, keek, Lalique, leak, leek, Martinique, meek, midweek, Mozambique, Mustique, mystique, oblique, opéra comique, ortanique, peak, Peake, peek, physique, pique, pratique, reek, seek, shriek, Sikh, sleek, sneak, speak, Speke, squeak, streak, teak, technique, tongue-in-cheek, tweak, unique, veronique, weak, week, wreak
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: be|speak
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.