Definition of bezoar in English:
1A small stony concretion which may form in the stomachs of certain animals, especially ruminants, and which was once used as an antidote for various ailments.
- They induced him to swallow therapeutic potions of oriental bezoar stone from the stomach of a goat and boiled spirits from a human skull.
- An obstruction series or plain abdominal radiographs may be necessary to distinguish obstruction from parasites or bezoars.
- Endoscopy revealed a large gastric bezoar and a 2 x 3 em lower esophageal ulcer that was thought to be the source of bleeding.
2A wild goat with flat scimitar-shaped horns, found from Greece to Pakistan. The ancestor of the domestic goat, it was the best-known source of bezoars.
- Capra aegagrus, family Bovidae
- The bezoar goat is quite common throughout the leopard range, but especially in Khosrov Reserve, where it makes over 90% of the predator's diet.
- Most of them depict the predator hunting its staple prey, the bezoar goat, or being hunted by men.
- The former project was targeted on seven species of large mammals and has identified the leopard, bezoar goat, and Armenian mouflon (Ovis orientalis gmelini) as taxa that deserve the most urgent conservation actions in the country.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia