verb[no object, with adverbial of place] archaic or dialect
Remain or stay somewhere: how long must I bide here to wait for the answer?
More example sentences
- Over clear pools, that solitude must bide, await your sowing like a holy bride, to cast off widowhood when you draw near.
- Not yet - hold, bide, don't go to sleep on the possibilities here.
- Emmy bided patiently, not discerning the point.
Old English bīdan, of Germanic origin.
bide one's time
- Wait quietly for a good opportunity to do something: she patiently bided her time before making an escape bidMore example sentences
- The shadow watched and waited, patiently biding his time.
- Rich listened obligingly, biding his time as he waited for the right opportunity.
- They quite rightly don't want to be seen to be desperate for an acquisition, and are apparently willing to bide their time, waiting for the right opportunity.