Definition of bilberry in English:
noun (plural bilberries)
1A small dark blue edible berry.
- When the weather's fine there's excellent walking on a network of inland tracks that climb past peat-dark lakes through cloudberries, bilberries, saxifrage and reindeer moss, with eagles above and the occasional moose up ahead.
- In the shrub layer are green-leaf manzanita, bog bilberry, western azalea, and leather oak.
- Leeds is to be linked with the bilberry, which grows on many of the moors surrounding the city and neighbouring Bradford.
2The hardy dwarf shrub that produces bilberries, growing on heathland and mountains in northern Eurasia.
- Genus Vaccinium, family Ericaceae: several species, in particular V. myrtillus
- The fruit of the bilberry plant is blue-black or purple and differs from the American blueberry in that the meat of the fruit is purple, rather than cream or white.
- Berries - including blueberries, bilberries, strawberries, currants and cherries - contain a group of bioflavonoids known as anthocyanidins, which show specific benefits for the eye.
- The foods with the highest anthocyanin content are those with the darkest blue, purple or red coloring, such as bilberries, black raspberries, black currants, blackberries and blueberries.
Definition of bilberry in:
- US English dictionary