- Each of a pair of plates or timbers fastened under the sides of the hull of a ship to provide lateral resistance to the water, prevent rolling, and support its weight in dry dock.More example sentences
- As I reached the bilge keel, the ship was still moving through the water, the ship's side was horizontal and I was standing upright. It was now or never and I took a deep breath and jumped.
- Royal Navy ice patrol ship HMS Endurance has struck an uncharted rock in Antarctica, holing her bilge keel.
- She was slipped to fit the ship with bilge keels in order to provide a better sea-keeping capability.
More definitions of bilge keelDefinition of bilge keel in:
- The US English dictionary