Definition of bird's-eye in English:
1 [usually as modifier] Any of a number of plants with small flowers that have contrasting petals and centres, in particular:
- ● (also bird’s-eye primrose) A primrose with yellow-centred purple flowers (Primula farinosa, family Primulaceae). ● (also bird’s-eye speedwell) North American term for germander speedwell
- Bird's-eye primrose is a diminutive plant.
- Bird's-eye primrose has pink or lilac flowers and dusty looking leaves.
- Bird's-eye refers to the color pattern of the flowers.
2 (also bird's-eye chilli or bird's-eye pepper) A small very hot chilli pepper.
- If you prefer your salsa hot, opt for the small bird's-eye, or even the eye-watering Scotch bonnet chillies.
- Bird chillies (cabai burung in Malaysia) are also called bird's-eye chillies because they are as small, vivid, and sharp as the eye of a bird.
- Believed to be one of the hottest peppers available, Tepin is a perennial wild, birds eye pepper of unique flavour.
3A small geometric pattern woven with a dot in the centre, typically used in suiting and lining fabrics.
- This is a so called four-course repeat structure, which will produce a birds-eye-backed fabric.
- Again a further birds-eye-backed fabric is produced in which the yarn knitting on courses 9 and 11 is of the same colour as that knitted on courses 1,3,5 and 7.
- A simple pattern of stripes, interspersed with rows of bird's eye pattern make an interesting design.
Words that rhyme with bird's-eyebanzai • tiger's-eye
Definition of bird's-eye in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan