Definition of bird's-nest in English:
1A brownish or yellowish saprophytic flowering plant of the wintergreen family, with scale-like leaves.
- Two species in the family Monotropaceae (or Pyrolaceae): the yellow bird’s-nest (Monotropa hypopitys) of north temperate regions, and the giant bird’s-nest (Pterospora andromeda) of North America
- A team from the Open University carried out an experiment concerning Yellow Bird's-nest Monotropa hypopitys.
- Another species, called bird's nest, is found in Britain and Europe.
- It is a Sierra Nevada native and has a number of common names including woodland pinedrops, beechdrops, giant bird's nest or giant pinedrops.
2 (also bird's-nest fungus) A Eurasian and North American fungus with a small bowl-shaped fruiting body that opens to reveal egg-shaped organs containing the spores.
- Family Nidulariaceae, class Gasteromycetes, including the common bird’s-nest (Crucibulum laeve)
- Bird's nest fungi are a small group of saprophytic fungi that have a unique way of reproducing.
- As bird's nest fungi are saprophytes and thus decomposers of organic material, they are found most often in New Zealand on decaying wood, small twigs, tree fern debris and sometimes on animal dung.
- The Bird's Nest fungi use the hydraulic pressure of water to disperse the peridioles.
Definition of bird's-nest in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan