1A particular right of possession or privilege a person has from birth, especially as an eldest son.
- Being the good brother he is, Jacob offers Esau some lentil soup - on one condition: Esau has to forgo his birthright and inheritance as eldest son.
- The birthright is the prerogative of the eldest son.
- For the one got possession of the birthright, and the other transferred the wealth of the Egyptians to the host of the Israelites.
1.1A natural or moral right, possessed by everyone: she saw a liberal education as the birthright of every child
More example sentences
- Which will leave hundreds of thousands of football fans deprived of their natural birthright: when in doubt, blame the ref.
- It is by now, they feel, a simple birthright, as natural as the air they breathe.
- Winning national championships is not their birthright, and everyone's going to survive if Duke were to somehow have a few back-to-back 15-loss seasons.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.