A representation in which each item corresponds to one or more bits of information, especially the information used to control the display of a computer screen.
- This version used bitmaps for each menu screen, rather than text-based menus.
- Most programmers eventually have to manipulate bitmaps for icons or toolbars, and most programmers don't have a good bitmap editor available.
- For static items like a dialog box, bitmaps are enough.
verb (bitmaps, bitmapping, bitmapped)[with object]
Represent (an item) as a bitmap: (as adjective bitmapped) a bitmapped background
More example sentences
- The idea was to offer serious readers digitized and bitmapped versions of books from every age, allowing both access to the text as a corpus, and as a set of specially designed original pages.
- No bitmapped scans are these: our postscript images will print crisply at any size.
- Nevertheless, you will still need to import graphics and any images that are bitmapped.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bit¦map
Definition of bitmap in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.