Definition of black diamond in English:
2A dark, opaque form of diamond. Also called carbonado.
- ‘He got her a black diamond with two gray diamonds on the side,’ says the source.
- Beautiful silver earrings hang from the points of her ears, encrusted by black diamonds and deep purple amethysts.
- Her black dress, shining from some silver silk material with black diamonds sewn into the hems and lines, contrasted with her washed-pale skin.
3 [usually as modifier] North American A difficult ski slope: a steep, black-diamond run
More example sentences
- While I worry about getting on and off the chairlifts, however, my boyfriend, an experienced snowboarder, starts fantasising about soft, powdery snow, half-pipes and double black diamonds.
- Most Vermont resorts are best suited to intermediate skiers, although with 23 lifts and 145 runs - three of which are double black diamonds - there is more than enough variety to keep any skier busy for a week.
- You look at those tempting black diamonds, so colourfully named (Dog Face, Cascade, Paint Brush) and think, hey, they don't look so difficult.
Definition of black diamond in:
- US English dictionary