Definition of blackcurrant in English:
1A small round edible black berry which grows in loose hanging clusters.
- There were stalls piled with pyramids of different coloured berries - deep purple blackcurrants, scarlet strawberries, pink lingonberries and bright orange slushy cloudberries.
- My mum used to make the world's best ever blackcurrant pie - she made home grown blackcurrants into a pie that I could polish off on my own over several evenings.
- Others, such as cooking apples, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries, have more pectin and set without any help.
2The widely cultivated shrub which bears blackcurrants.
- Ribes nigrum, family Grossulariaceae
- The blackcurrant, R. nigrum, was first cultivated a century later than the red, and for a long time was considered to be distinctly inferior.
- Elderberries and blackcurrants grew in the hedgerows.
- The original blackcurrants grew in N. Europe and in Asia as far east as the Himalayas.
Definition of blackcurrant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan