Definition of blackfly in English:
noun (plural same or blackflies)
1A black or dark green aphid which is a common pest of crops and gardens.
- Several species in the family Aphididae, in particular Aphis fabae
- Hover flies and lace wings control aphids and blackfly.
- Most common are greenfly on roses and blackfly on nasturtiums and broad beans, but dozens of their relations also attack other plants.
- One or two other insidious pests have crept almost unnoticed into my garden this month including blackfly, which have infested the tall flowering stems of the cardoons.
2 (also black fly) A small black fly, the female of which sucks blood and can transmit a number of serious human and animal diseases.
- Family Simuliidae: Simulium and other genera
- Similarly, the device mimics a human by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture, and an attractant, octenol, which targets mosquitoes, biting midges, black flies and sandflies.
- Other blood feeding insects or mites that may occasionally be pests of poultry include: chigger mites, biting midges, and black flies (turkey gnats).
- In fact, in their effort to discourage the world's mosquitoes, blackflies, sand flies and ticks, consumers spend an estimated $200 million annually on sprays, liquids, lotions, candles and other anti-insect concoctions.
Definition of blackfly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.