Definition of blackjack in English:
1 [mass noun] chiefly North American A gambling card game in which players try to acquire cards with a face value totalling 21 and no more. Also called pontoon2, vingt-et-un.
- The site offers slots, roulette and animated card games including poker and blackjack.
- In a game such as blackjack, an astute player can try to memorize the cards already played to have a better chance of predicting which cards will come up later.
- These men attended and enjoyed spectator sports, bet on prize fights and wrestling matches, and gambled at poker, blackjack, and dice.
2A widely distributed weed related to the bur-marigold, with barbed black seeds.
[Perhaps from sense 3, drawing a comparison between the shape of the seeds and a bludgeon]
- Bidens pilosa, family Compositae
- It spends some of its time removing weeds like kakiebos, blackjacks and bugweed, perpetual problems in any areas that birds fly over, dropping seeds.
3North American A flexible lead-filled truncheon.
- Firehoses were turned on and soon three thousand picketers, thugs, and police rumbled in the streets with clubs, blackjacks, wrenches, chains, and tear gas.
- Bats, clubs, sticks, blackjacks, Brazilian fighting rods, rocks, and Japanese club sticks are just a few of the more favored tools used in beating people to a pulp.
- Johnigan folded in half over the keyboard, giving Al the chance to bang him hard on the back of the head with a lead-weighted blackjack.
Words that rhyme with blackjackapplejack • flapjack
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan