Definition of blackjack in English:
1 [mass noun] chiefly North American A gambling card game in which players try to acquire cards with a face value totalling 21 and no more. Also called pontoon2, vingt-et-un.
- The site offers slots, roulette and animated card games including poker and blackjack.
- In a game such as blackjack, an astute player can try to memorize the cards already played to have a better chance of predicting which cards will come up later.
- These men attended and enjoyed spectator sports, bet on prize fights and wrestling matches, and gambled at poker, blackjack, and dice.
2A widely distributed weed related to the bur-marigold, with barbed black seeds.
[Perhaps from sense 3, drawing a comparison between the shape of the seeds and a bludgeon]
- Bidens pilosa, family Compositae
- It spends some of its time removing weeds like kakiebos, blackjacks and bugweed, perpetual problems in any areas that birds fly over, dropping seeds.
3North American A flexible lead-filled truncheon.
- Firehoses were turned on and soon three thousand picketers, thugs, and police rumbled in the streets with clubs, blackjacks, wrenches, chains, and tear gas.
- Bats, clubs, sticks, blackjacks, Brazilian fighting rods, rocks, and Japanese club sticks are just a few of the more favored tools used in beating people to a pulp.
- Johnigan folded in half over the keyboard, giving Al the chance to bang him hard on the back of the head with a lead-weighted blackjack.
Words that rhyme with blackjackapplejack • flapjack
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.