Definition of blacklead in English:
another term for graphite.
- Strand upon strand bonded to the blacklead with a binding agent known only to few.
- Works can be rendered in blacklead or metallic pencil or in colour using various mediums or in monotone or duotone or in black and white.
- The grate will need no other cleaning, but will merely require dusting every day, and occasionally brushing with a dry blacklead brush.
verb[with object] Back to top
Polish (metal, especially cast iron) with graphite: the kitchen range hadn’t been blackleaded for ages
More example sentences
- When they are required, the bars, cheeks, and back of the grate will need blackleading in the usual manner.
- The fireplace dates from about 1840 and needed regular blackleading and polishing.
- Windows were cleaned, grates were blackleaded, furniture polished and the front doorstep and flags were whitened.
Definition of blacklead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan