1British derogatory A person who continues working when fellow workers are on strike: [as modifier]: blackleg labour
More example sentences
- In response to his letter, I wholeheartedly disagree with his comments about ‘scabs’, ‘non-strikers’ and ‘blacklegs’.
- There was no violence directed against the many blacklegs who drove buses and engaged in other strike-breaking activities.
- The marital crisis coincides with a miners' strike in which the men are forced to live off a pittance while blacklegs take over their jobs.
2 [mass noun] An acute infectious bacterial disease of cattle and sheep, causing necrosis in one or more legs.
- The bacterium is Clostridium chauvoei.
- Such other clostridials include black disease, blackleg, braxy, bacterial redwater and tetanus.
- The researcher said cases of blackleg often increased when animals moved to new pastures.
- The clinical signs of botulism in cattle are caused by the toxin produced by a bacteria, which is in the same group that causes such familiar diseases as tetanus and blackleg.
3 [mass noun] Any of a number of plant diseases in which part of the stem blackens and decays.
- A fungal disease of cabbages and related plants (caused by Leptosphaeria, Pleospora, and other genera). A bacterial disease of potatoes (caused by Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica)..
- This will ensure that any future overcoming of resistance does not result in the complete collapse of the cultivar from blackleg disease as now occurs in some field situations.
- The models revealed telling facts about the spread of anthracnose, blackleg and black spot.
- Although numerous studies suggest that seedling and adult blackleg resistances are under different genetic controls, many authors have observed a significant correlation between the two.
verb (blacklegs, blacklegging, blacklegged)[no object] British derogatory
Continue working when one’s fellow workers are on strike.
- The party's organic hostility to the working class soon proved of value to the bourgeoisie when it blacklegged on the 1980 general strike, which was broken by the government.
- Second, the left decided to scab and blackleg on the ethnic group, whose struggle is the oldest cause of the left in the region.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: black|leg
Definition of blackleg in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.