Definition of blackthorn in English:
1A thorny Eurasian shrub which bears white flowers before the leaves appear, followed by astringent blue-black fruits (sloes). Also called sloe.
- Prunus spinosa, family Rosaceae
- The planting included oak, ash, crab apple, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, privet and dogwood and down by the ponds two areas of willows were planted.
- Shrubs such as hawthorn, field maple, blackthorn, beech, hornbeam and holly make good hedging.
- The dark purple berries, fruit of the blackthorn, are best after the first frosts because they break down more easily.
1.1A walking stick or cudgel made from a stem of the blackthorn shrub.
- The muscular man carried a sturdy blackthorn cudgel in the field when supervising the emergency men.
- His father re-emerged with a blackthorn stick, looking ready to do vicious battle; but when he saw his opponent, he began to laugh.
- He took his job very seriously, driving couples from the local public houses with his blackthorn stick.
Definition of blackthorn in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan