Definition of blank cheque in English:
1A signed cheque with the amount left for the payee to fill in.
- He testified that he signed blank cheques, the details of which would be filled in later.
- She had a signed blank cheque of mine and I told her the exact amount to fill in.
- We should pay our fair share, but not give a blank cheque for others to fill in and sign.
1.1An unlimited freedom of action: the elections did not hand the president a blank cheque to carry on as before
More example sentences
- Ministers admitted last week that their promised package of relief to the countryside was effectively a blank cheque.
- He has the faith of a true believer and the blank cheque that may only be available to him once in a lifetime.
- We should oppose the usual practice whereby they demand that the Council give them a blank check to conduct a war any way they want.
Definition of blank cheque in:
- US English dictionary