Speak irreverently about God or sacred things: he has blasphemed against the Holy Spirit
More example sentences
- Chesterton observed long ago that we only blaspheme what we hold sacred.
- As the text we read this morning makes clear, death is the penalty for blaspheming and cursing God.
- Already they are blaspheming and doing blasphemous things against the church.
Middle English: via Old French from ecclesiastical Latin blasphemare 'reproach, revile, blaspheme', from Greek blasphēmein, from blasphēmos 'evil-speaking'. Compare with blame.
- More example sentences
- He admits that he was once a blasphemer and a persecutor of the faith.
- And Paul, an apostle and leader in the church, was once ‘a blasphemer, a persecutor and a man of violence.’
- The strengthening of the sovereign's power had diminished the threat of the blasphemer to the community, and blasphemy became a private sin rather than a public menace.