nounchiefly North American
- 1A person who talks at great length without making much sense.More example sentences
- Have you noticed those two blatherskites are creeping ever nearer to usurp you as champion posters?
- Candidates were referred to as blatherskites, big-nothings, stuffed shirts, jellyfish, etc.
- Many of the books we see these days perched perfectly in high street seasonal window displays are written by static, worn-out, curmudgeonly blatherskites.
- 1.1 [mass noun] Foolish talk; nonsense: politicians get away all the time with obscurantist blatherskiteMore example sentences
- He makes up figures, he makes up stories, and he is full of blatherskite.
mid 17th century: from blather + skite, a Scots derogatory term adopted into American colloquial speech during the War of Independence from the Scottish song Maggie Lauder, by F. Semphill, which was popular with American troops.
More definitions of blatherskiteDefinition of blatherskite in:
- The US English dictionary