- Dim, dull, or filmy: a medicine to lay to sore and blear eyesMore example sentences
- They were almost transparent, blear beads of amber, slightly filmed with red; blood, a vampire's tears.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Make dim; blur: he bleared his eyes with booksMore example sentences
- There she beheld another countenance, of a man well stricken in years, a pale, thin, scholar-like visage, with eyes dim and bleared by the lamplight that had served them to pore over many ponderous books.
- Tears bleared my vision as I took every agonizing step, one at a time, through first the winding maze of the gardens, and then the dark corridors, lit only by the faint glow of a torch.
- She pursed her mouth, lipstick blearing like a squashed berry.
Middle English (as a verb): probably related to Middle High German blerre 'blurred vision' and Low German blarroged 'bleary-eyed'.
More definitions of blearDefinition of blear in:
- The US English dictionary