- So hot here right now - all I'm wearing is my bling - chilling with a beer - respect!
- The wearing of bling-bling is both a fashion statement and a display of power.
- It's clear that she doesn't understand that she can't take her bling with her to prison.
- Her jeans are tight and designer, showcasing long, ultra-slim legs, but they're not what I expected from a woman whose "bling" taste in clothes has been relentlessly charted by the media.
- I'm looking for a feminine watch - not leather, not too chunky and not too bling.
- There was never anything flashy and bling about him.
blingy adjective (blingier, blingiest)
- Example sentences
- She had heaps more blingy brooches pinned to the vest, and marvellous diamante hoop earrings.
- When you wear a bold piece of jewelry in a business meeting, make sure it's not too bold or blingy or it will distract.
- This handbag is blingier and bigger than the last version.
1990s: perhaps imitative of light reflecting off jewellery, or of jewellery clashing together.
This term, probably suggested either by the idea of light reflecting off a diamond or by the sound of jewellery clashing together, first appeared in a song by the US rapper B.G. (‘Baby Gangsta’) in 1999. From there it moved quickly into the mainstream to describe ostentatious jewellery and flashy clothes. Such has been the impact of the word that black slang has been dubbed Blinglish.
Definition of bling in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.