1The action or fact of blocking or obstructing someone or something: the issue led to the disruption of classes and the blocking of the Kakata highway by angry students
More example sentences
- The aim is to prevent reckless parking, which would result in complete blocking of the way to their customers.
- The measures against these persons include blocking of funds, financial assets and other types of property, denial of access to financial services, and others.
- Angry people tend to feel that they are morally right, that any blocking or changing of their plans is an unbearable indignity and that they should NOT have to suffer this way.
1.1The impeding of an opponent in a game, especially (in ball games) one who does not have control of the ball.
- They understand the technical aspects of the game, the blocking, tackling, ball carrying, throwing, catching and coverage.
- While Smith's runs have made him famous the underappreciated part of his game remains his blocking.
- To him, as he reminds me often, it is still a game of blocking and tackling.
2.1Failure to recall or consider an unpleasant memory or train of thought.
- One of the most common and worrying memory failures is name blocking - being unable to retrieve the names of familiar people.
- As for normal people like myself, I will just have to go to bed now, while trying to recall my blocking in my sleep.
- He was also one of the first to talk about repression and blocking out of troubled memories.
3The grouping or treatment of things (e.g. shades of colour) in blocks.
- By performing proper blocking experiments, the topographical and adhesion information can be separated.
- Time spent blocking in a system call does not count against the process, because the scheduler is free to schedule other processes during this time.
3.1The physical arrangement of actors on a stage or film set.
- The blocking of this scene - the relationship among actors, lights, and camera - is important to the analysis.
- Most films of the time were still hampered by a sense of theatrical blocking of scenes into linear sequences.
- He is excellent with direction and blocking and knows how to treat actors!
Definition of blocking in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.