Definition of bluebell in English:
1A European woodland plant of the lily family, which produces clusters of blue bell-shaped flowers in spring.
- Hyacinthoides (or Endymion) nonscripta, family Liliaceae
- Daffodils, wild hyacinths and tulips, snowdrops, bluebells, daisies and buttercups littered the earth.
- The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.
- Autumn is the time to put in bulbs for early spring including snow-drops, daffodils, crocuses, lilies and bluebells.
2Any of a number of other plants with blue bell-shaped flowers, in particular:
- ● Scottish term for harebell. ● A North American plant of the borage family (genus Mertensia, family Boraginaceae). ● An Australian and South African plant of the bellflower family (genus Wahlenbergia, family Campanulaceae).
- In amongst the shrubs and trees are many more delights both indigenous and exotic, in the form of plants such as Spanish bluebells and South African gazanias.
- Spanish bluebell is a good bet everywhere except the intermediate and low deserts.
- This comes from the Spanish bluebell which can be purchased in some garden centres.
Words that rhyme with bluebellcowbell • Annabel
Definition of bluebell in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan