Definition of bluebottle in English:
1A common blowfly with a metallic blue body, the female of which often comes into houses searching for a suitable food source on which to lay her eggs.
- Calliphora vomitoria, family Calliphoridae
- Blowflies, such as greenbottles and bluebottles, are attracted to your rabbit and its housing by the presence of faeces, urine, rotting vegetables and open wounds.
- Would we do the same for baby rats, or baby cockroaches or baby bluebottles?
- My kitchen window is at the back of the house and if I leave it open the house is filled with brown flies - they are not the normal bluebottles but flies which feed on sewage.
2Australian & South African The Portuguese man-of-war.
[so named because of its blue balloon-like float]
- I list it along with bluebottles, broken glass, backwash and muggers - the last-mentioned not actually in the surf but lurking in the nearby sanddunes, waiting for an opportune moment to interface with you and your valuables.
- If you go in there, there are always dangers in the sea - bluebottles, whatever.
- At midday I took myself off to Coogee but the cold water and the beached bluebottles put me off the idea of swimming.
Definition of bluebottle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan