Definition of bluebottle in English:
1A common blowfly with a metallic blue body, the female of which often comes into houses searching for a suitable food source on which to lay her eggs.
- Calliphora vomitoria, family Calliphoridae
- Blowflies, such as greenbottles and bluebottles, are attracted to your rabbit and its housing by the presence of faeces, urine, rotting vegetables and open wounds.
- Would we do the same for baby rats, or baby cockroaches or baby bluebottles?
- My kitchen window is at the back of the house and if I leave it open the house is filled with brown flies - they are not the normal bluebottles but flies which feed on sewage.
2Australian & South African The Portuguese man-of-war.
[So named because of its blue balloon-like float]
- I list it along with bluebottles, broken glass, backwash and muggers - the last-mentioned not actually in the surf but lurking in the nearby sanddunes, waiting for an opportune moment to interface with you and your valuables.
- If you go in there, there are always dangers in the sea - bluebottles, whatever.
- At midday I took myself off to Coogee but the cold water and the beached bluebottles put me off the idea of swimming.
Words that rhyme with bluebottlegreenbottle • Aristotle
Definition of bluebottle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.