Definition of boater in English:
1A flat-topped hardened straw hat with a brim.
[So named because originally worn while boating]
- The men wear flat caps, bowlers, straw boaters, trilbies, toppers; the women shawls or floral hats.
- I have spotted flat caps, straw boaters, and one trilby.
- Standing idly beside them are the ‘drivers’, who, with their straw boaters and white shirts and trousers would not look out of place beside a punt in Oxford or Cambridge.
2A person who uses or travels in a boat for pleasure.
- Speeding to the aid of boat manufacturers, marinas and pleasure boaters, Norton is trying to weaken protections for Florida's endangered manatees.
- Instead, speeding to the aid of boat manufacturers, marinas and pleasure boaters, she's trying to weaken protections for the imperiled sea cows.
- It will allow local and visiting recreational boaters to travel along the coast, stop at a variety of overnight accommodations, visit local attractions, and use local services.
Words that rhyme with boaterbloater, Botha, Dakota, doter, emoter, floater, gloater, iota, Kota, Minnesota, motor, promoter, quota, rota, rotor, scoter, voter
Definition of boater in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.