noun (plural bobbies)British • informal
- A police officer.More example sentences
- Police authorities whose bobbies wear helmets for patrols will be given shorter, stronger ones next year.
- In this the mysterious mass murderer whom nobody observes was in fact a patrolling bobby, seen by everyone but noticed by none.
- In turn this information can be quickly and automatically transmitted to other patrol cars and even bobbies on the beat.
mid 19th century: pet form of Robert, given name of Sir Robert Peel, Sir Robert.
More definitions of bobbyDefinition of bobby in:
- The US English dictionary