Definition of body check in English:
(Especially in ice hockey) an act of deliberately obstructing a player by bumping into them.
- After all, a body-check is blatant obstruction and should be punished accordingly.
- It is also a highly physical sport and body-checks can sometimes see players crashing to the ground without any punishment being meted out by officials.
- The lone forward skimmed past Iván Helguera with seven minutes go before attracting a ferocious body-check just outside the area from David Albelda.
verb(body-check) [with object] Back to top
Obstruct (a player) with a body check: (as noun body-checking) no body-checking is allowed so the pitched battles which often feature in ice hockey are rare
More example sentences
- How many times have we seen players being body-checked when trying to take a return pass?
- With the score at 1-1 thanks to Carl Fletcher's equaliser, Camp denied Marlon Harewood a clear goal-scoring chance by body-checking the West Ham striker just outside the penalty area but Mason showed only a yellow card.
- Ljungberg has just been cynically body-checked by Pellegrino, leaving Arsenal with a great free-kick opportunity, 25 yards out.
Definition of body check in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan