A louse which infests the human body and is especially prevalent where hygiene is poor. It is able to transmit several diseases through its bite, including typhus.
- Pediculus humanus humanus, family Pediculidae, order Anoplura. See also head louse
More example sentences
- There he again found efficient and cost-effective methods for controlling the human body louse, the insect that carried typhus fever.
- The human body louse, Pediculus humanus, has two ways of making a living - either dwelling on the scalp, feeding on blood, or snuggling into our clothes and come out once or twice a day to graze on our bodies.
- The first full-scale use of DDT in a military context was in early 1944 against the body louse during the Naples typhus epidemic where it was credited with bringing the epidemic under control.
Definition of body louse in:
- The US English dictionary