noun[treated as singular or plural]
- (Especially in South America) a missile consisting of a number of balls connected by strong cord, which when thrown entangles the limbs of the quarry.More example sentences
- A Zulu warrior performs a war dance; an Argentinean performs Flamenco with flashing bolas like silver whips.
- Inspired by South American cowboys, some forces deploy bolas, several yards of rope weighted with rubber balls, to entangle a suspect's legs.
- But technology remained limited to the branding of animals, the burning of natural pastures, and the use of lassoes, bolas, and knives.
early 19th century: from Spanish and Portuguese, plural of bola 'ball'.
More definitions of bolasDefinition of bolas in:
- The US English dictionary