Definition of boldo in English:
noun (plural boldos)
1An evergreen Chilean tree from which are obtained an edible fruit, a dye, and a medicinal leaf infusion.
- Peumus boldus, family Monimiaceae
- The essential oil of boldo contains ascaridole, which is toxic to humans and should not be used, as it can cause ringing in the ears, spasms as well as coma.
1.1 [mass noun] A medicinal preparation of the leaves of the boldo tree, used as a tonic and digestive aid.
- The main use of boldo leaf is as a choleretic medicine to treat dyspepsia and mild spastic complaints.
- In Anglo-American herbal medicine, boldo is combined with barberry and fringe tree to treat gallstones.
- The Commission reported that boldo increases gastric secretions, and has approved boldo as treatment for mild dyspepsia and spastic gastrointestinal complaints.
Early 18th century: via American Spanish from Araucanian voldo.
Definition of boldo in:
- Spanish dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.