noun (plural boldos)
- 1An evergreen Chilean tree from which are obtained an edible fruit, a dye, and a medicinal leaf infusion.
More example sentences
- Peumus boldus, family Monimiaceae
- The essential oil of boldo contains ascaridole, which is toxic to humans and should not be used, as it can cause ringing in the ears, spasms as well as coma.
- 1.1 [mass noun] A medicinal preparation of the leaves of the boldo tree, used as a tonic and digestive aid.More example sentences
- The main use of boldo leaf is as a choleretic medicine to treat dyspepsia and mild spastic complaints.
- In Anglo-American herbal medicine, boldo is combined with barberry and fringe tree to treat gallstones.
- The Commission reported that boldo increases gastric secretions, and has approved boldo as treatment for mild dyspepsia and spastic gastrointestinal complaints.
early 18th century: via American Spanish from Araucanian voldo.