noun (plural boletuses)
- A toadstool with pores rather than gills on the underside of the cap, typically having a thick stem.
More example sentences
- Genus Boletus, family Boletaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- Many boletes are worth eating, but their stems tend to become infested with insects or maggots and often have to be discarded.
- His delicious little Wild Mushroom Beignets are for those lucky enough to know where to gather boletuses and horns of plenty.
- Then, in April, as morels and king boletes begin to show around Mount Shasta and in the mountains of eastern Oregon, pickers climb into their ‘rigs’ and drive northward again.
from Latin, from Greek bōlitēs, perhaps from bōlos 'lump'.
More definitions of boletusDefinition of boletus in:
- The US English dictionary