noun (plural boobies)
1A stupid person.
- But you do rather wonder whether she won't get tired of someone who is either a tongue-tied booby or a rapier-twitching ‘rattle’.
idiot, fool, stupid person, simpleton, moron, cretin, imbecile, ignoramus, oaf, dunce, dolt, dullard, nincompoop, duffer, jackass;
informaldope, chump, clot, clod, nitwit, dimwit, wally, airhead, birdbrain, lamebrain, pea-brain, numbskull, thickhead, fathead, blockhead, bonehead, meathead, dunderhead, chucklehead, knucklehead, pinhead, cloth-head, wooden-head, dipstick, dumb-bell, dumbhead, dumbo, dum-dum, noodle, nerd, ninny, ass, donkey
North American informaldoofus, goof, goofball, goofus, putz, bozo, lamer, boob, chowderhead, meatball, lummox, dummy, turkey, clunk, ding-a-ling, dip, palooka, poop
North American vulgar slangasshat
2A large tropical seabird of the gannet family, with brown, black, or white plumage and brightly coloured feet.
- Genus Sula, family Sulidae: several species
- And don't miss the Brac's colonies of brown boobies and white-tailed tropic birds.
- The Pacific seabirds called brown boobies lay two eggs but hardly ever fledge more than one chick.
- Boobies that nest on the ground, the masked gannet and the brown booby, are also found on remote cays of the Great Barrier Reef.
Early 17th century: probably from Spanish bobo (in both senses), from Latin balbus 'stammering'.
Words that rhyme with boobyjube, newbie, Newby, ruby
noun (plural boobies)informal
A woman’s breast.
- It was, like, enhancing nothing and I couldn't even get my boobies played with anymore.
- They trusted my judgment that there would be sunshine and boobies, basically.
- Instead, I get a bunch of overweight, smelly computer geeks while the dance co-op gets girls with big boobies and guys with long willies.
1930s: alteration of dialect bubby (see boob2).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.