Definition of booby trap in English:
1An apparently harmless object containing a concealed explosive device designed to detonate when someone touches it.
- Officers seized a number of pipe bombs, a booby trap device, a handgun and ammunition and a quantity of bomb-making equipment.
- Yesterday's discovery of 10 guns, two pipe bombs, a booby trap device and hundreds of rounds of ammunition had almost certainly saved more lives.
- Instead, the Marines were leaving a promotion ceremony when one of them apparently triggered a booby trap, causing the explosion.
2A trap intended as a practical joke, especially one involving an object placed on top of a door ajar ready to fall on a person passing through.
- Occasionally they would sneak down in the middle of the night to play some prank on the Vandals, like steal their flag or set up a booby trap outside the door.
verbBack to top
(booby-trap) [with object] Place a booby trap in or on (an object or area): (as adjective booby-trapped) a booby-trapped parcel
More example sentences
- When US guards went to inspect the damage outside the embassy the following morning, they discovered the area was booby-trapped with several more bombs.
- My room is practically booby-trapped with clothes, but having a bird around might be alright.
- Private citizens can't mine their backyards or booby-trap their front doors.
Definition of booby trap in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.