Definition of bookmaker in English:
A person whose job is to take bets (especially on horse races), calculate odds, and pay out winnings; the manager of a betting shop.
- UK bookmakers, casinos and betting shops make billions of pounds every year.
- The most popular bet is on first goal scorer but it's a typical bookmaker taking bets on horse racing and other sorts of shenanigans too.
- And the major bookmakers have cut the horse's price after sustained backing from punters in recent days.
- Example sentences
- There are around 8,200 betting shops in UK so bookmaking is a substantial business, important to the British economy.
- Forbes would list some if their core business were not gambling and bookmaking.
- The company said it wants to move spread betting away from bookmaking and geared toward private investors and small institutions.
Words that rhyme with bookmakertroublemaker
Definition of bookmaker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan