Definition of boreal in English:
1 Ecology Relating to or characteristic of the climatic zone south of the Arctic, especially the cold temperate region dominated by taiga and forests of birch, poplar, and conifers: northern boreal forest
More example sentences
- Moose and caribou share the region's tundra and boreal forests with arctic foxes, wolves, lynx, and black bears.
- The Siberian northern boreal forests, called Taiga, where the fires were burning are mainly spruce and fir trees.
- The temperate and boreal forests along with the arctic tundra of these four provinces are extremely fragile.
1.1 (Boreal) Botany Relating to or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising the arctic and temperate regions of Eurasia and North America.
- This, following the current views on molecular evolution, may have been a separate benthic-planktic transition in Boreal latitudes; Compactogerina is currently only known from Northern Russia and the south of the UK.
- Eriophorum spp. are abundant perennial graminoids in the Arctic tundra and boreal peatlands.
2 (Boreal) Geology Relating to or denoting the second climatic stage of the postglacial period in northern Europe, between the Preboreal and Atlantic stages (about 9,000 to 7,500 years ago), marked by a warm, dry climate.
- The alleged bureaucratic ubiquity of the Teutonic world is not really being treated as conditional on the truth of a contingent claim about those hardy Boreal nomads of the Arctic.
- It is apparently absent from Triassic faunas of northeastern Asia and the Boreal region, and until now has not been reported from the Triassic of the Americas.
- There is some disagreement about stratigraphic nomenclature and correlations between the Boreal and Tethyan faunal realms across the Jurassic-Cretaceous boundary.
Words that rhyme with borealaccessorial, accusatorial, advertorial, ambassadorial, arboreal, armorial, auditorial, authorial, censorial, combinatorial, consistorial, conspiratorial, corporeal, curatorial, dictatorial, directorial, editorial, equatorial, executorial, gladiatorial, gubernatorial, immemorial, imperatorial, janitorial, lavatorial, manorial, marmoreal, memorial, monitorial, natatorial, oratorial, oriel, pictorial, piscatorial, prefectorial, professorial, proprietorial, rectorial, reportorial, sartorial, scriptorial, sectorial, senatorial, territorial, tonsorial, tutorial, uxorial, vectorial, visitorial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia