Definition of bottom-dwelling in English:
(Of an aquatic organism) living on or near the bed of the sea, a lake, or other body of water.
- From the same family as rays, skates are bottom-dwelling fish usually found in shallow coastal waters.
- Sphyraena barracuda will feed on both bottom-dwelling species as well as species of the higher water column.
- Marine gobies are typically bottom-dwelling fish that live in shallow water.
- Example sentences
- Juveniles, especially in the territorial bottom-dwellers, often possess different, brighter colors than adults of the same species.
- A marine family, clinids are mostly bottom-dwellers.
- During feeding, hordes of acanthurids descend on the reef so that attempts by bottom-dwellers to defend their territory are thwarted.
Definition of bottom-dwelling in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan