Definition of bottom feeder in English:
1Any marine creature that lives on the seabed and feeds by scavenging.
- These fish are primarily bottom feeders and are aided in food finding by sensitive sensory papillae on their lips.
- Some swellsharks are sluggish bottom feeders that prey on dead or sleeping fish or crustaceans.
- For the most part cryptically marked bottom feeders, many clinids change color near spawning time.
2North American informal A member of a group of very low social status who survives by any means possible.
- In effect, the company has been taken over by its bankers who have signalled that they are not always prepared to sell off ailing investments for a pittance to the bottom feeders now gorging themselves on the corpses of failed companies.
- Question is: will the mobile operator launch with a Vodafone Lite brand - or trawl for bottom feeders with a virtual mobile operator in tow?
- His was a bottom feeder bargain basement operation.
Definition of bottom feeder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan