1A pleasant shady place under trees or climbing plants in a garden or wood.
- Entering the shady bower of the trees, Jerica sped down the path, pushing all thoughts of dreams and golden eyes away as she exercised.
- The evocation of a mythic landscape recalls elements of a child's tree house and the bower in Milton's Paradise Lost.
- The party dashed beneath the bowers of the first trees and all of them collapsed onto the ground, breathing heavily.
1.1 literary A summer house or country cottage.
- That illusion was quickly dispelled, and Bella had retreated into her own bower, leaving Elanor to grow up along separate lines.
- Their laughter and verve has made the stale hall a vibrant bower and even the air conditioning plant is cooler.
- Hark, what noise is that sounding in our bower of delight?
verb[with object] literary Back to top
Shade or enclose (a place or person): (as adjective bowered) the bowered pathways into the tangle of vines
More example sentences
- The scenery was a pleasant diversion from Sister Blanda's conversation: a succession of tidy olive-groves and villas bowered in cypress.
- Meanwhile, his body lay in an open coffin bowered in flowers in the Paris house.
- One of the beauties of Sintra, though, is that you can escape the crowds, literally within a minute, by veering off on one of the bowered paths leading up the Serra.
Words that rhyme with bowercower, devour, dower, embower, empower, endower, flour, flower, gaur, Glendower, glower, hour, lour, lower, our, plougher (US plower), power, scour, shower, sour, Stour, sweet-and-sour, tower
(also bower anchor)
Each of two anchors carried at a ship’s bow, formerly distinguished as the best bower (starboard) or small bower (port).
- The small bower anchor was also used for anchoring the Victory in deep waters.
- Then came the best bower and the small bower (so called from being carried on the bows).
- The remaining four were bower anchors mounted on bulwarks in the bow for use.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.