A strong-billed Australasian bird, noted for the male’s habit of constructing an elaborate run or bower adorned with feathers, shells, and other objects to attract the female for courtship.
- Family Ptilonorhynchidae: several genera and species
More example sentences
- Male bowerbirds construct elaborately decorated bowers (which are not nests, but courtship arenas) and females prefer builders of higher quality bowers as mates.
- Male bowerbirds famously woo females by fashioning elaborate bowers - not nests but U-shaped showplaces with parallel walls of twigs.
- Studies by a scientist at the University of Maryland show that male bowerbirds modify their courtship rituals based on the females' body language.
More definitions of bowerbirdDefinition of bowerbird in:
- The US English dictionary